Pumpkin Spice Lattes, cool dark mornings and determining what to bring to Thanksgiving dinner, all mean we are in the heart of the fall season. Besides the best time for long trail hikes and pumpkin muffins, fall is also the best time for home repairs. Take advantage of the mild weather and the end of mosquito season for repairs and maintenance on your home before old man winter comes knocking.
Here are some top home maintenance ideas that will keep your home in peak condition all winter long:
- Exterior Maintenance: Look for signs of damage or wear-and-tear on the roof and replace broken or windblown shingles. Repair any cracked siding and touch up paint or stain. Inspect the foundation and take special care to fill any holes and cracks. Did you know a mouse can squeeze through a hole a size of a nickel? If you spot anything, get it repaired before winter weather hits.
- Clean Gutters and Downspouts: Clogged rain gutters can cause ice dams, which can lead to expensive repairs and unsafe and unwanted ice skating rinks around your home. After the leaves have fallen, clean your gutters to remove leaves, twigs, and gunk. Get to know your local hardware store; they have tools to make this a snap.
- Inspect your furnace: Schedule an appointment with a heating and cooling specialist to get your heating system checked and tuned up for the coming heating season. Change your furnace filters and humidifier filters if your HVAC system has one.
- Give Your Fireplace a Once Over: Grab a flashlight and look up inside your fireplace to make sure you can see daylight and that the chimney is free of debris. Check the flue to make sure the damper opens and closes properly. Then get the wood all ready for your first toasty fire!
- Keep Your Family Safe at Home: Test smoke and CO monitors, inspect (or install) fire extinguishers and review fire escape plans.
Of course for those over-achiever types there are lots more to-do’s you can check off. Check out Bob Villa’s printable checklist for more tips and ideas.
Sometimes we are short on time or the desire to do these projects, give me a call at 612-821-7456 and I can help you find a trusted pro to get the jobs done right and quickly!
Now cross these items off your to-do list and the curl up with a good book and that pumpkin spice latte and rest easy knowing your home’s in good shape for the winter.